Related imageThe holiday season is in full swing now with Christmas just a couple of weeks away!  There is nothing that says Christmas like beautiful holiday light displays throughout our communities.  But all the lights, inflatables and other electrical installations come with a risk of damaging our property.  So, as you decorate your home, make preparations to inspect items individually to check for electrical safety and avoid potential hazards.  Any holiday celebration can turn into a disaster with one small electrical safety hazard.  Read the safety tips below so that you and your family can stay safe this Christmas.

Electrical Safety Tips

  • Inspect all electrical decorations for any damage before use.  Any loose or bare wires and loose connections may cause a serious fire.  Follow the manufacturer’s use and care instructions for each electrical decoration.
  • Never overload electrical outlets.  Overloading electrical outlets and faulty wires can cause a fire during the holidays.
  • Do not connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.  Consider purchasing LED lights which use less energy and run cooler.  Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs.
  • Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to bed.  
  • Always purchase electrical decorations and lights from reputable retailers.  Check that each decoration has a certification label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
  • Make sure that extension cords and electrical decorations used for outdoor decorating are marked as such.  Outdoor lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters.
  • If you are purchasing a real Christmas tree, make sure to keep it fresh by watering it daily.  A dry Christmas tree can be a serious fire hazard.
  • Protect electrical cords from damage.  To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture or located neat heat sources.
  • Do not leave the kitchen unattended when food is cooking.  Unattended cooking appliances can lead to a cooking fire make sure once meal is ready to turn off all appliances.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from all of us at Premium Insurance!